Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Athletic Inspiration

Annie, Elyse, Jenny
NorCal Regionals 2011
I first fell in love with Jenny LaBaw at the NorCal Regionals in 2011.  Here was this non-affiliated, dark horse, total stud, who had only been CrossFitting for a matter of months leading up to her qualifying for The CrossFit Games that year by finishing in the top three at regionals.  Of course she had a stellar repertoire of athletics in her back pocket.

Jenny and Annie
The Games 2011
Beach WOD
She is such an inspiration to me because I can relate to this athlete on so many levels.  (I also had the very fortunate opportunity to work with her as my nutrition coach.)  Her very recent blog post sums it up nicely.  To read her complete post, click here:  Jenny LaBaw "Winter Wonderland Reflection" 

I have attached part of her post from "COLORADO WINTER WONDERLAND REFLECTION" below.  (I tried to do it right, by giving her post a beginning quote mark and end.  Don't even know if that's right, but E for effort, right?)

"As a lot of people know, I came into CrossFit almost two years ago exactly from a background of "playing". I was a soccer player, a mountain biker, a runner, a skier (snow and water). I would paddleboard, slackline and boulder for fun. I have spent my entire life hiking, fishing, hunting, camping and just being in the mountains. I was raised to enjoy, appreciate and respect nature. None of that has changed for me…however I've not taken advantage of it for a couple of years. Once I started training for the CrossFit Games two years ago, I went by what seemed to be the norm for training protocol. I spent hours upon hours in the gym working on my lifts, hitting metcons and trying to improve my skills. I've been so lucky to work with some of the best coaches in the sport and have grown immensely as a CrossFitter. I have no regrets with any of the choices I have made in the last 2 years of training…but I have learned a lot about myself as an athlete and as a person that I am just now putting together to discover what works for me.

As people we are all different. As athletes we are all different. I know that in 2011 when I was a newbie to this sport, had no expectations, had no pressure on me, and this was all a novelty…I had so much fun! I was progressing quickly and I was feeling strong. After placing 6th at The Games, I came into my 2012 season excited, energized and hungry to see what else I could get my body to do. I got on a set program and my numbers were going up. But, I started to feel heavy and feel like I had no gas to push through metcons. This was hard for me since my lungs were always my strong point. I listened to the experts though and this was a phase of training where I was trying to get stronger, not get my engine back. Between The Open and Regionals it was go time to get my lungs up to speed with my strength. It was miserable for me…something I wasn't used to. My brain started to shut off a bit. My passion for training was dwindling. My love for moving was being replaced with some negative emotions. I think this is normal at the elite level. After all, training is our job. But instead of listening to my body, my brain and my boyfriend, I continued to push through. I continued to hit the gym everyday. I wanted so badly to go out and just go for a trail run, or bike ride or even just take the day off…but it wasn't on my "program" so I felt like if I were to miss a day of scheduled workouts I would be behind. Not to mention, I was fighting a neck injury. I had been modifying my training for months and my brain couldn't wrap around that either. I could move more weight, I had a broader skill base and I was performing better than I had the year before, but for some reason I felt more un-athletic than I had in years…but KNEW it was all for a reason. Taking first at regionals to earn myself another spot at The Games proved this.

Since The Games however, I've been able to reflect on what I want for me as an athlete. Do I want to be in the gym day in and day out? No! The last 2 years I feel were critical for me to take that time…I was playing catch up to the rest of the fleet of elite CrossFit Games women. Don't get me wrong, I will still be putting in my dues in the gym. However, I am confident that with a bit more balance between my passion for moving in nature, doing some endurance training and dedicated time in the gym…I will love training again.

My approach isn't for everyone…just like the approach I've been taking the last two years isn't 100% for me. To be and feel complete, you have to have balance. You have to be happy mentally, grounded emotionally as well as successful and healthy physically. My goal this season is to work with my coach to combine my background with my current protocol and find the symmetry between the two. Don't be surprised to see posts of me climbing up mountains on my skis on what is supposed to be a heavy Clean & Jerk day…and any of you are welcome to join me!
Sunlight Mountain skin/ski session with Marcus
Sunlight Sesh

This post isn't just for me to share with you my approach toward training, but it's to encourage you to reflect on your training. Are you dragging your butt to the gym everyday or are you excited every time you go in for a workout? If you're not excited, then find something that excites you. Find your Winter Wonderland…. Here's a little video clip I want to share with you that Marcus and I put together over our vacation. This defines what I consider balance in my training away from the gym.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9uPAYkmWjYw"


This was my comment to her:

Brittany B

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 5:47:28 PM

Jenny, you are really spot on in your post for me and where I am at in my training life. The diversity in your athletic background, your sense of outdoor adventure and athleticism, and your "new" approach are exactly why I fell in love with you as an athlete. Thank you for this great post. I am going to link it up on my blog as well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU Britt for believing in me, following me and trusting in me. Let's get together and "play" outside of the gym sometime!

    ReplyDelete