Saturday, December 29, 2012

"MURPH"


Yep, "Murph" happened.
1 mi run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 airsquats, 1 mi run

This is one of those workouts, you "get by with a little help from your friends"...The Beatles started playing in my head.  Okay, anyway...so the orginal plan was to meet Megan at 11am at CrossFit Amundon.  We were going to do our own workout...we were going to program something fun for ourselves...maybe a parter workout....power cleans, overhead squats, handstand push-ups, and double unders were a few movements we had selected.  Before I knew it...I was swayed...kind of easily swayed actually, into doing "Murph". 

Why?  There is no way, I ever imagined doing this workout, well obviously until today...as they say "where the body goes, the mind has gone before".  When I had heard of people doing it, I thought that they were completely insane, over achievers...and clearly...why would you do that to yourself?  Well, Megan had done it before.  She's insane!  She's a total beast!  I knew I could do it if Megan did it with me.  I told her, "I can do it, if we do it together." 

Megan was such a rad training partner.  She stayed with me on the initial run, and on about round seven into the workout...we did it partitioned like "Cindy"....I told her we should start keeping our own count because at this point Megan was about to lap me.  That left me not wanting to get more than one round behind her.  This was the case...until the end...she lapped me again!  She is such a ROCK STAR!  But this kept me motivated and moving.  So needless to say, I couldn't have done it without her! 

During the final run, actually during the workout, Greg said, "Pick one of the affirmations."  In the gym, there are affirmations that make up the perimeter of the gym; words like courage, resilience, strength, confidence, virtuosity, perseverance, and faith.  During that final run, I was barely trucking along, but I repeated to myself, "Perseverance, Courage, Resilience, Strength."  And I began to tell myself, "I am as light as a feather".  Believe it or not, it actually helped.  I was initially running very heavy and slow.  This helped to lighten my stride; I really felt lighter!  I thought of a good friend, Keeta Duke, and how she would have said, "Lengthen your stride."  Not that I lengthened it that much, but it helped.  And I kept repeating those affirmations to myself.  Towards the last 200 meters, Greg was down the street to cheer us on, as we were completing the final round, and of course, he offered some words of encouragement. 

Thanks to everyone today, I SURVIVED "Murph"!  The Beatles are playing again in my head, "I get by with a little help from my friends!"

No comments:

Post a Comment