Monday, January 14, 2013

Down and Out

A medium-sized orange is an excellent source of vitamin C with 70 mg.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/467889-are-oranges-good-for-a-cough-phlegm/#ixzz2HysJ6z5g
Down and out with the flu!  That's where I've been if you've missed me. 

An interesting thing happened to me during this event.  Prior to the onset of a 103 degree fever, I found myself in the kitchen cutting into oranges and cold Cuties that were stored in the refrigerator in the garage.  Normally, I avoid all fruit because of the sugars.  As I was cutting into them I knew that my body was craving them out of some desperate need.  I seriously knew my body had taken over and was trying to provide itself with something that was missing.  I was craving the cold, sweet, and sugary Cuties, but why? 

Oranges provide your body with energy, Vitamin C, and has antioxidant properties that strengthen your immune system.  "Oranges contain 62 calories each with 52 mg of calcium and 13 mg magnesium. Rich in the antioxidant vitamin A for healthy mucus membranes to control infection and phlegm, one medium orange supplies 295 IU. Oranges contain  folate, which boosts the immune system and helps prevent respiratory problems that may cause coughing. An orange provides 237 mg of potassium plus iron, magnesium and phosphorus, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database."
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/467889-are-oranges-good-for-a-cough-phlegm/#ixzz2HyrpfzFH




No comments:

Post a Comment