Friday, May 4, 2012

Positive Self Talk and Mental Fortitude

Why do we have this inner voice, this little boss, this little critical voice inside our head?  Does it make us better or does it destroy us and cause us to crumble and fold?  That inner voice, that inner dialogue in me, constantly tells me to do better.  It can be insulting, it can be overly critical, but my inner voice also continues to push me to do better, to push my limits, to push my physical and mental capacity, to learn from my mistakes, and to get up when I fall down. 

My inner dialogue can sound harsh, but the other side to my inner voice is that it can also be really positive.  It can actually act like my own inner cheerleader.  It tells me to keep on going, to be thankful for the simple things in life, to be thankful when the sun is shining or when the rain is pouring.  It tells me to be thankful for everything in my life.  It constantly reminds me of my life's journey,  how I got here, and why I keep driving forward.  That little boss wants me to be better.  It wants me to achieve my full potential and capacity.  It constantly reminds me that the only thing that stops me from achieving my dreams, the only thing stopping me is me.

I recently had a conversation with my brother and he asked me if anyone has ever told me that being compeitive is a bad thing?  I have never been told that.  But the truth, the answer to that question is that if perhaps, I appear to be competitive, I compete with no one, but myself.  It's me against, me.

Here's a link to an article called, Breaking the Mental Barrier by Josh Bridges.

Breaking the Mental Barrier

No comments:

Post a Comment